St. Paul’s United Methodist Church
620 Romeo St. Rochester, MI 48307
Harmony in the Hills hosts inspirational concerts
at St. Paul’s United Methodist Church in Rochester, Michigan.
It was founded by Dr. Jean Randall in 2006.
Dr. Wm. Jean Randall
Director of Music
Dr. Randall began his career as a church musician at the age of 14, playing the organ as a substitute at various churches on the east side of Detroit. After earning a bachelor’s degree in Vocal Music Education and Organ Performance at Wayne State University, he began a 14-year ministry at First United Methodist Church in St. Clair Shores. In 1995, he entered the graduate program in Sacred Music at the University of Michigan and, at the same time, became the Associate Minister of Music at First Presbyterian Church in Royal Oak.
In 1997, he moved to Utica United Methodist Church as Director of Music and Worship Arts. He earned his Doctorate in Sacred Music in the spring of 2000.
He and his wife, Ellen, live in Chesterfield Township and they enjoy boating, traveling, and gardening.
Contact Dr. Randall.
St. Paul’s Organ
St. Paul’s sanctuary organ was custom designed and hand-built in 1989 by J.W. Walker & Sons Ltd. of Suffolk, England. When first built, St. Paul’s was in the midst of a $4.2 million expansion project and nearly one-third of the organ was left incomplete due to a lack of funds.
In 2005, the church raised the necessary funds to refurbish and complete the organ. In late June 2006, the organ was disassembled and silenced. It was completed and re-dedicated on Sunday, October 8, 2006. Complete, the organ is one of the premiere English pipe organs in Southeast Michigan, featuring three manuals, 42 stops and more than 3,000 pipes.
“The Walker mechanical-action organ at St. Paul’s is a treasure,” says Marilyn Mason, university organist and organ department chair at the University of Michigan School of Music. Mason served as consultant to St. Paul’s and Walker back in 1988 and 1989 when the organ was designed and first in-stalled. “It is a splendid instrument, crafted with variety in the various ‘stops’ or ‘registers,’ and has a beautiful tone.”
J.W. Walker & Sons, Ltd
While J.W. Walker & Sons Ltd. of Suffolk, England, traces its roots back to the 16th Century, it was officially named for Joseph William Walker in 1828.
The company has built mechanical-action pipe organs for cathedrals, music schools, churches, and even royalty. And while it’s not possible to count the number of organs the company has built and installed from Australia to Japan and Norway, it is in excess of 2,000.
The company’s organs range from the gallery organ at St. Martin in-the-Fields in London, England, to an organ in the crypt of Canterbury Cathedral in Kent, England, to the organ in the town hall in Adelaide, Australia. Perhaps the oldest surviving Walker organ is a small chamber organ dating from 1832, now in the company’s possession. The latest?
If you’re sitting in St. Paul’s Sanctuary in Rochester, Michigan, you just may be enjoying our organ now.
Visit J.W. Walker & Sons, Ltd: www.jwwalker.co.uk